Monday, November 16, 2015

China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2) by Kevin Kwan | Book Review

Title: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
Author/s: Kevin Kwan
Publication: June 16th 2015 by Knopf Doubleday
Format: Trade Paperback (International Edition), 378 pages
Source: Personal Purchase
Amazon | Book Depository
Plot in a Nutshell:
Kevin Kwan, bestselling author of Crazy Rich Asians, is back with a wickedly funny new novel of social climbing, secret e-mails, art-world scandal, lovesick billionaires, and the outrageous story of what happens when Rachel Chu, engaged to marry Asia’s most eligible bachelor, discovers her birthfather.

On the eve of her wedding to Nicholas Young, heir to one of the greatest fortunes in Asia, Rachel should be over the moon. She has a flawless Asscher-cut diamond from JAR, a wedding dress she loves more than anything found in the salons of Paris, and a fiancĂ© willing to sacrifice his entire inheritance in order to marry her. But Rachel still mourns the fact that her birthfather, a man she never knew, won’t be able to walk her down the aisle. Until: a shocking revelation draws Rachel into a world of Shanghai splendor beyond anything she has ever imagined. Here we meet Carlton, a Ferrari-crashing bad boy known for Prince Harry-like antics; Colette, a celebrity girlfriend chased by fevered paparazzi; and the man Rachel has spent her entire life waiting to meet: her father. Meanwhile, Singapore’s It Girl, Astrid Leong, is shocked to discover that there is a downside to having a newly minted tech billionaire husband. A romp through Asia’s most exclusive clubs, auction houses, and estates, China Rich Girlfriend brings us into the elite circles of Mainland China, introducing a captivating cast of characters, and offering an inside glimpse at what it’s like to be gloriously, crazily, China-rich.

Thoughts in General:
If you read my review of Crazy Rich Asians, you'll know how much I was eager to read and finish its sequel China Rich Girlfriend! Let me tell you, I frigging love both of these books to pieces and this sequel totally lived up to the glitz and hilarity of its fabulous predecessor.


I need to air this out, I completely adore the cover. It totally matches the redesigned cover of the paperback edition of the first book and I hope that the publisher will stick to this aesthetic. If the trade paperback copy of this ever comes out, I will surely get it just for kicks!

The main reason why I really love this series so far is the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously. It's funny, exuberant, and weirdly educational. The second book mainly shed some light to the sparkling lives of the PRCs or Mainlanders.

I am aware that I have to take everything with a grain of salt when I read fiction, however, I feel like Kevin Kwan knows what he is saying and I actually believe the truths behind his words. The obscene wealth of the Baos and Bings was jaw-dropping! I couldn't believe that Kevin Kwan managed to top the ridiculousness of the Young's (Nick's family) money.


Aside from the riches of his characters, Kevin Kwan was still able to craft a funny satire about families, relationships, and reputations. The drama the characters faced were all hilarious and yet it is still humane enough that I related with some of their struggles. The author expertly navigated me, as the reader, into the intricate lives of these characters and I wasn't bored or confused one bit. 

China Rich Girlfriend's ensemble of characters consisted of both the old and the new. There weren't a lot of changes between Nick and Rachel, except for the fact that Rachel was adjusting into the gilded lifestyle really well, and the rest of the cast were pretty much the same except for one character (which I won't mention because I don't want to spoil anything for you). The new characters were all so unique and interesting. I gravitated towards Collette's character more because she was so enigmatic and totally stylish.

Honestly, I'm really excited for the next book to come out just to experience the lively writing of Kevin Kwan.

Have you read Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend? Feel free to comment your thoughts, opinions, and feels down below!

         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...