Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Confess by Colleen Hoover | Book Review


Plot in a Nutshell:
Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…

-Synopsis from Goodreads

Thoughts in General:
Ever since I've seen the cover for Confess by Colleen Hoover when it was first released, I've been dying to get it (even if I had no clue what it was about). However, I stopped myself from getting it immediately because I've heard that the author was coming in the Philippines and she didn't announce which major book retailer will host her signing. Then, I think it was in July or August that National Bookstore finally dropped the news and I immediately snatched up the opportunity to get it. 



This is actually the very first Colleen Hoover book I've read and it did not disappoint! The over-all story of the book were a combination of fluff and melodrama. Being an avid fan of contemporary, I felt like that the romance in Confess was done well and I found the chemistry between the two protagonists palpable. 

I do admit that some parts of the book felt like it was soap-opera-worthy dramatic, but the execution of it wasn't cheap. The challenges the characters faced (both in the past and present) were tough and Colleen Hoover didn't shy away from placing her MCs in those positions. I also appreciate the way how the plot and subplots were given to the reader in a subtle way. 


The book was told from the dual perspective of Auburn and Owen. Auburn was such a delight. I found her really genuine and sincere all throughout the story. I loved how compassionate and considerate she was with the people she loved. And the fact that she managed to kick some ass in the most unexpected way made me like her even more. 

Initially I was really suspicious of Owen. He seemed really shady with his intentions with Auburn and that made me question his motives.Through Colleen's crafty way of exposition she was able to keep me on the edge with this guy but eventually I found myself cheer him on.  

I never expected Confess to have such a frustrating antagonist. This aspect of the book was the reason why I said that the novel had some melodrama. But I do give the author points for inciting the necessary frustration over this particular nasty character. 

Of course, I have to mention Auburn's weird and awesome roommate Emery (my favorite character in the whole book)! All I have to say is that every roommate should learn from this girl. 





The artworks included in the book are all gorgeous! It definitely added this interactive experience that I have never encountered with other books (aside from another Colleen Hoover book, which I'll save for my upcoming book reviews)! It was such a treat to see the art the characters were seeing with my own eyes. I suddenly want to order prints of these (but I can't because I have financial responsibilities that makes me hate being a pseudo-adult. So sorry for going off tangent). 

New Adult wasn't a genre I was initially interested in, but Confess actually broke through that barrier. I finally understand the hype surrounding Colleen Hoover after I finished this book. 

Rating:
Do you want art, drama, and romance in a book? Pick up a copy of Confess right now.

Have you guys read Confess? What are your thoughts regarding the book? Did my review justified the novel? Then comment down below and let's start a discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...