Wednesday, July 08, 2015

#KMRinPH: Katie Cotugno, Melissa Kantor, and Robyn Schneider Manila Book Tour | Signed Adventure


I just want to open this post with an epiphany... 

Why does it keep on raining when I go to Manila? 

Seriously! Why?!

Anyway you're not here to read about my stupid rant over insignificant things.

Hello there people and welcome to my recap of #KMRinPH! National Bookstore was awesome enough to invite over three fantastic best-selling contemporary novelists, Katie Cotugno (author of How to Love and 99 Days), Melissa Kantor (Maybe One Day and Better Than Perfect) and Robyn Schneider (The Beginning of Everything and Extraordinary Means) to grace our archipelago! 

Pre-Signing Sitch

The Philippines was under the terrible hold of a tropical storm known to us by the name of Egay  (correct me if I am wrong, I am by no means a meteorologist). However, that did not stop me from bracing the harsh winds and torrential downpour to get to the author signing. Feats like these could only be attributed to my passion for the written word and the "feels" inducing charisma of the three authors. 

Arriving at the event I was able to chat with awesome bloggers once more!

L-R: Leia of Random Reviews PH, Leslie of Bibliophile Kid, Kai of Amaterasu Reads, 2 Marketing Crew of NBS
Below: Louisse of The Soul Sisters
Photo Credit: Kai Agito of Amaterasu Reads
L-R: Jesselle of The Lifelong Bookworm, Sab of Sab The Book Eater, Hazel of Stay Bookish, Leslie of Bibliophile Kid, Kai of Amaterasu Reads
Below (L-R) - Dianne of Oops I Read A Book Again (being all dramatic and totally in character) and Louisse of The Soul Sisters (playing the soap opera's family dog which is on point!)
Photo Credit: Kai Agito of Amaterasu Reads
Photo Credit: Kai Agito of Amaterasu Reads
I was saving up space on my phone, which is why I wasn't able to take loads of pics with them (and luckily my instinct was right, more on this later). 

Q&A

Again for the sake of facts (and to shamelessly plug my channel) here is the vlog I filmed of the whole Q&A: 


As usual, the bloggers asked loads of amazing questions and the authors' responses were inspirational and entertaining.

Katie's answer regarding the polarizing aspect of her characters really got to me and I suddenly had this realization she was actually right. Real people are messy, raw, and flawed in which she captured in her latest work 99 Days.  

Anyway, I really loved how Dianne from Oops I Read A Book Again said that statement about the "eating the hearts of readers", it was laugh-out-loud inducing. Also Lyra of Defiantly Deviant's moment of fangirling was priceless and she captured what we were all feeling inside.   

Meeting Katie Cotugno


I just want to say right off the bat that Katie Cotugno is really pretty! I actually geeked out when I saw her and I was fidgety (bordering on manic) when we were having our moment (I even slapped the table kinda hard when we were in a conversation and thank goodness she didn't notice). 


I told her that the book design of 99 Days was just spectacular and I asked if she had any say during the conceptualization (not the actual term I used) of it. She told me that she did and she took the process seriously, however, the models featured in the cover weren't the ones she initially chose. In the end she was still very happy with how it turned out!

Then I asked her who the guy on the cover is (if you read the book you'll get it) and she said that it depends on my interpretation. Wise answer Ms. Cotugno! 

Meeting Melissa Kantor



Sadly I wasn't able to finish Maybe One Day on time so I couldn't fanboy hardcore over the novel and I felt kinda bad about it. But being able to chat with her suddenly gave me this urge to read it ASAP. Melissa was so nice and incredibly bubbly!

Remember during my encounter with Leigh Bardugo I spent my golden moments with the author talking about the weather? Well yours truly never failed to repeat history and I chatted with Melissa Kantor about the storm.

Basically the conversation went like this (Disclaimer: This is not exact, but my interpretation)...

Me: How are you coping up with the storm?

Melissa: Oh it's fine. I kinda like it when it rains.

Me: Really?

(Then an idea suddenly popped in my head)

Me: Does the weather affect your writing in any way?

(Melissa looked up at me from signing my book)

Melissa: That's a great question. I haven't thought about it. I'll get back to you on that.

Me: You could do like an experiment or something.

Melissa: Yeah!

(insert laughter here)

Meeting Robyn Schneider


Aside from being an imaginative novelist, Robyn Schneider is also a Youtuber so when I came up to her I immediately used that connection to my advantage. I told her that I actually did her Extraordinary Means Book Tag in my channel and she was really stoked about it. So I asked her a question regarding the topic (Disclaimer: This is not exact, but my interpretation):

Me: Was it tough making those questions?

Robyn: A little bit. My editor asked me one day "hey you should do a tag" and at first I was like "how do I even start?" Eventually I did it and it was fun.

(Then before I got my picture taken, I remembered her last video...)

Me: So what's your outfit theme for this trip?

Robyn: I think I'm channeling my inner Taylor Swift.

It was surreal having these conversations with these authors. Thankfully I didn't act like a total spaz (or at least I didn't think I did). But there was one thing that totally did and that was my phone.

It actually malfunctioned during the signing! Initially it did not save the pictures I had of the authors and I freaked out (internally). Thankfully it sorted itself out after I shut it down. That moment was just insane and scary!

My signed books + swag!
Thank you very much Dani (Book Whales Reviews) and Hazel (Stay Bookish) for handing me your extra bookmarks!

Group shot featuring Kate of The Bookaholic Blurbs, Algel of Tea-rrific Reads, Maricar of Blackplume, Dea/Gelio/Mary Ann of Teen Reader's Diary, Kazhy of My Library in The Making, and Dani of Book Whales Reviews.
Dianne and her 21 books, which were all signed!
Then we all had a group photo op with the three stars of the event!
Photo Credit: National Bookstore
And an EPIC #KaiSelfie

Can you spot the photobombing author? :D
Photo Credit: Kai Agito of 
Amaterasu Reads

I am so grateful to you Katie, Melissa, and Robyn for making this particular Sunday of mine Extraordinary! You guys are urging me to move forward with my dream of becoming a published novelist. 

Thank you very much to National Bookstore for giving me the chance to meet and interact with these fantastic ladies!


Lastly thanks to the #PHYABookBloggers for making the experience even more fun and incredible. 


So that's the end of my little recap. Hope you had fun reading my ramblings!

Did you attend #KMRinPH? Have you met these three authors in a different event? How was your experience? Please don't hesitate commenting down below your posts/opinions and I can't wait to read it. 


      

2 comments:

  1. Robyn is so extraordinarily like Robyn in her books and videos, right? I love her even more after the event! So, wait. Where do you live? I thought you're from the Metro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! She's so bubbly and totally fantastic! I'm from the Cavite area. :D

      Delete

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...