Monday, June 29, 2015

99 Days by Katie Cotugno + #KMRinPH Tour Schedule| Book Review

Title: 99 Days
Author/s: Katie Cotugno
Publication: Published April 21st 2015 by Balzer + Bray
Format: Hardcover, 384 pages
Source: Personal Purchase
Plot in a Nutshell:
Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.

-Synopsis from Goodreads

Thoughts in General:
99 Days by Katie Cotugno is a type of contemporary novel that I haven't read before. As you can tell from the synopsis above, the novel centers around a girl named Molly Barlow who ran away from her hometown because of an indiscretion she did. In all honesty, I didn't love this nor did I hate it and here's why...

The plot of the book is different from what I read because we get the side of the girl who cheated on her significant other. Normally in fiction, we always read/see the perspective of the cheated and how they cope up with the problem. I liked this idea of switching it up and the author did a good job of showing what the cheater felt and how they reacted from their wrong-doings. 

Another thing I liked about this book is the fact that it does point out the double standards society puts on women who cheated. It does deal with slut-shaming (sorry for the term) and how the whole town hated Molly so much that it came to a point that she had to ran away, yet Gabe was practically unscathed during the whole ordeal. The novel blatantly shows the injustice of it all and I have to agree that it takes two to tango and people should also make a deal out of a man's actions and not just the woman's.

Another aspect of the book that I sorta liked was the ending (I will not spoil it for you, don't worry.) I am just going to leave it at that. 

Now I want to vaguely mention things I did not like about 99 Days. I'll just enumerate it down below in single words (hopefully if you read the book you'll get my drift): 

1) Molly's mom *ugh*
2) Molly's decision-making *ugh!*
3) Gabe's reasoning *ugh!!*
4) Patrick  *ugh!!!*
5) Julia *argh!!!!*

I have to admit there were plenty of...


moments when I read this. Seriously I cringed at certain parts because I can't handle the ridiculousness of the situations Molly put herself into.


Rating:
I give 99 Days by Katie Cotugno a...
Pushing aside the main character's flaws, the book was still entertaining nonetheless but it wasn't spectacular enough to illicit any long lasting emotions within me. Although the over-all book design is 10+ stars for me (bravo book designers... BRAVO).


#KMRinPH Announcement:


Have you read 99 Days? What were your thoughts regarding the book? Please do share them below and please try avoiding spoilers! Thanks!



2 comments:

  1. Dear Kevin, Hahaha. Okay so I've got mixed feelings about this book when I read it. I didn't like the central plot, with the love triangle and the cheating and Molly's mom and her book. I did appreciate the way Katie tackled the issues most teenagers are facing and she really writes effectively and realistic which brought me to give this book 4 stars. But I hated Molly and her boys. See, told you I got mixed feelings! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! Everything was completely frustrating and I guess that's the main agenda of Katie, to present such a complicated scenario and have the readers react to it whatever they liked. I just hated Molly by the end of the book, to be honest, and there wasn't any redeemable aspects to Gabe and Patrick.

      Delete

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...