Wednesday, March 18, 2015

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart | Book Review

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Publication: May 13th 2014 by Delacorte Press
Format: Hardcover, 240 pages
Source: Personal Purchase

Plot in a Nutshell:
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.
-Synopsis from Goodreads

Thoughts in General:

I can only describe We Were Liars by E. Lockhart with one word and that is... complex. Everything about this book is just complex. I won't go into the details anymore because I think that this book needs to be read without any inkling of the plot. It adds to the power of the story, which is why if you really want to have a memorable journey please forget about the hype and everything you heard about the novel and read it as it is. 


Normally, I am the kind of reader that speculates about where a book's plot was heading. However, for some reason I didn't allow my analytical mind to guess what was about to happen. I just went with the flow of the story and I am beyond satisfied with that decision. Going into We Were Liars with no assumptions, I ultimately felt that my reading experience wasn't compromised.

The book was like those Russian dolls that kept on surprising you as you open every single one of them. For me We Were Liars started out completely superficial and I've mentioned quite a few times that it did not held my attention. However, as I slowly unfold and understood the story, it eventually sucked me in and before I knew it I was completely thrown head first into the complicated knot of the beautiful Sinclair family. 

THAT END PAPER IS GORGEOUS!
The writing was wonderful in an odd way. There was this scene in the very beginning of the book that left me shocked because of how E. Lockhart crafted it with an elaborate metaphor. With that being said, the main character Cadence, wasn't really my cup of tea and I felt uncomfortable being inside of her brain for reasons I won't disclose here. I also did find some portions really dragging a bit.

I was lucky enough to have a signed copy! Although, the author will be coming here soon I still want my name written on the book by her!
I admire how E. Lockhart molded everything together and how she made a 225 page novel feel packed with intrigue and how it left an impact on me in so many ways.

THAT NAKED SPINE THOUGH! 
Rating:
Just go read it without any expectations. It'll be so much fun! 

Have you read We Were Liars? What are your thoughts? Please feel free to comment it down below, or leave a link to your blog post so I could read them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...