Saturday, February 28, 2015

Crown of Midnight + Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #2 & #3) by Sarah J. Maas | Mini Book Reviews






(NOTE: I read this book a few months ago so I will only discuss the things I still remember)

Plot in a Nutshell:
"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

- Synopsis from Goodreads


Thoughts in General:
Crown of Midnight was a book that made me love the Throne of Glass series. The first book was good, but it did not live up to my expectations (if you want to know why click the annotated word for the review). However, the second novel turned that around because of its powerful plot and awesome character development. Celaena Sardothien finally proved to me how much of a badass she was in this book. The lack of spunk I saw in the first one definitely showed itself in this tome, which made me like the series even more. 

The twists and turns were spectacular and heart-breaking. The surprise just kept on coming with every chapter that the author dispensed, grabbing my attention till the very end. The romance and friendships both flourished and were tested, which is also a major factor why I loved this more.  

Rating:
WHAT A FANTASTIC SEQUEL! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!







Plot in a Nutshell:
Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?
-Synopsis from Goodreads


Thoughts in General
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas was good, but it wasn't what I expected it to be. Honestly majority of the book felt like a filler, unlike in Crown of Midnight which was meaty yet concise (plot-wise). There were new characters introduced here and I liked most of them (I will get into the details soon). I do agree that the revelations and action in this book was still up to S.J. Maas' standards, but the main issue I had was the length and how it just dragged on certain occasions.

First, I want to talk about the new characters. We have Manon who is part of the witch society in this world. Honestly, I wasn't that into her story at first. I was like who the heck is this person and why am I being forced to read from her perspective? However, as her story line started to develop I sort of saw where she came from and why her tale was relevant to the story. The world building for the witches was cool and edgy. I ended up liking her and her pet. 

Then we have Rowan who is this Fae prince Celaena meets in Wendlyn. A lot of people were telling me that Rowan will change the "shipping" game because he's apparently "swoon-worthy." Well I hate to break it to you, but I wasn't really into him. He's the typical cold-hearted, enigmatic, but is actually really caring figure *rolls eye*. I just did not connect with him unlike with Dorian and Chaol. As a warrior though, he is pretty badass and his power was envious. 

I did like Aedion and his parts were really interesting. It gave a few information about what happened to the people of Terrasen after the disruption of magic, which was a few of the puzzle pieces that were still lost in the first two books. Chaol and him worked really well together and hopefully we get to see more from them in the latter books (#Bromance). 

Then lastly we have Sorscha who was the least of my favorite. Her characterization was somewhat bland beyond comparison. 

Celaena's stay in Wendlyn was indeed very detailed, but there were stuff that just felt boring (i.e. her work schedule with the demi-Fae shouldn't have been that of a big deal). I did sympathize with her grief, but I felt like she became too invested on that negativity and that kind of bloated her storyline. 

I did enjoy her character growth and how her skills in magic excelled. She continued to be a badass in this book and I am excited to see where things are heading in the next one, which will be out later this year. 

Rating:
Actual Star Rating: 3.75 STARS
I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. 

Those are my quick-fire thoughts regarding the sequels of Throne of Glass! What are your own thoughts about the series so far? Feel free to leave a link to your own review and comment your opinions down below!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...