Wednesday, January 21, 2015

#MichelleHodkininPH: Michelle Hodkin's Philippine Book Tour 2015 Recap | Signed Adventure #11


No storm can stop me from pursuing the chance to meet the author of the Mara Dyer trilogy Michelle Hodkin. Originally, I wasn't supposed to attend the event, however, as I contemplated about the situation I suddenly regret the hasty decision I made. Thankfully everything worked out well and I got to meet this inspirational author.

It was my first book signing event that was hosted by Fully Booked and it was such an awesome experience! Although I do have some qualms about certain things I picked up from the beginning of the event, I still managed to have a great time. 

The Pre-Signing Stuff

I arrived at Alabang Town Center at around 8:45 AM and, as per Tomebound tradition, here was the line that greeted me...


It was not as horrendous as other signings I attended, which was a treat in itself. After an hour of waiting and conquering the registration process, I finally got my number and it was...



The Q&A


Michelle Hodkin answering some questions from the audience!
The event started on time and I was really happy with that. The Q&A portion began immediately and I managed to film some of it (which I will attach in this post as soon as I finish editing it). I also got the nerve to ask a question and I was so proud of myself for conquering my anxiety (yay for self-improvement)! The question I asked was "What is your writing process like? How do you go about writing a novel?"

I did not get the chance to record any of her answers, so I won't be able to disclose any direct quotes from Michelle. The gist of what she said was that majority of writers/authors do experience self-doubt in the journey, but to be able to achieve ones dream of being published, it is essential to set aside that doubt and just go for the gold. She also joked that if someone would take a video of the daily life of an author, it will be one of the most boring things anyone will ever watch. 

Another subject she tackled within my question was about the two kinds of writers. There are writers known as the soloists, who would isolate themselves from the world and write something purely from their imagination without any trace from his/her environment. Then there are writers known as the thieves who take inspiration from people, places, movies, music, and even his/her own life experiences and incorporate it in their works. 

Then someone asked a question (which is kind of SPOILERY for those who have not read the first two books, so please move along to the next paragraph) about the paranormal aspect of the trilogy. Michelle Hodkin managed to associate the special abilities of her characters to mental illness by doing intensive research. She wanted to depict the paranormal things present in the novels in a realistic way, wherein the audience would get confused about the validity of the situations Michelle's characters faced. Michelle confessed that even though she was a huge Twilight buff, she was annoyed with the fact that Bella Swan was the only one who figured out about the Cullen's vampirism. That is the reason why she wanted Mara to confess about her strange ability and have all those people around her think that she's "bat-shit crazy" because in reality that would be the normal reaction to that kind of situation. 

Michelle Hodkin also talked about J.K. Rowling and how she was able to see the Harry Potter author in person at a book launch event. There she saw how compassionate and down-to-earth J.K. Rowling was with her fans. She told us that she wanted to be like that and I have to say that her mission was accomplished. 

Meeting Michelle Hodkin

A fan requested Michelle if they could reenact the cover photo of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and here's the result!
Being the 76th person, I had a lot of spare time to contemplate what I was going to say to her. My thoughts ranged from...

Hi Michelle! Thank you for your wonderful answer to my question...

Did you know that Jamie is my favorite character in the trilogy. That bat-shit crazy scene from Evolution was pure comic gold...

In the end, I just said the first statement. We talked about which author I was really into at the moment and I could not, for the life of me, think of any author (the shame!). Eventually I just blurted Gayle Forman and then she asked me if Gayle's new book I Was Here was already available in the Philippine market and I replied with a brief "I'm not sure."


Then we had a photo-op together and right before I was asked to leave, I immediately seized the opportunity and requested Michelle Hodkin for a favor. I won't tell you what it is, just stay tuned!






The only personlized signed book I had. The event coordinators only allowed one copy to be personalized, which was such a total bummer. C'est la vie.
Aside from some mishaps regarding the supply of books and the fact that we were only allowed one personalized copy (which up to this day still irks me because in other book tour stops this rule did not exist), the event was incredible! 

Thank you Michelle Hodkin for just being an awesome and totally badass human being!

Thank you Fully Booked for hosting this fantastic event! 

Also, I would like to extend my gratitude to Joanna and her pals for keeping me company during the whole signing! You guys rock! 


Did you got the chance to meet Michelle Hodkin? What were your experiences like? 

4 comments:

  1. Inggit much ako! Haha! I wasn't able to attend because of my board exam. =/ Anyway, good to hear you had a nice time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that you did well in your exam! Best of luck and let's pray that Michelle will come back soon! :D

      Delete
  2. Hi! I saw you there :) Babatiin sana kita kaso base dito sa mga posts mo sa blog mo e mahiyain ka so hindi ko nalang tinuloy. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... Yes I am shy, but I am still approachable! Hehehehe... Maybe next time!

      Delete

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...