Friday, October 03, 2014

Ashes to Ashes (Burn for Burn #3) by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian | Book Review

Title: Ashes to Ashes
Author: Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
Publication: September 16th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Format: Paperback, 400 pages
Source: Personal Purchase
Plot in a Nutshell:
Think Mary, Kat, and Lillia have nothing left to lose? Think again. The fiery conclusion to the Burn for Burn trilogy from New York Times bestselling author Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian.

They only meant to right the wrongs. It was about getting even. Burn for burn.

But the fire they lit kept raging…Reeve ended up hurt, then Rennie ended up dead.

Everything will turn to ash if they don’t stop what they started. But now that Mary knows the truth about what happened to her, will she want to?

Secrets drew Lillia, Kat, and Mary together. The truth might tear them apart.
-Synopsis from Goodreads

Thoughts in General:
Ashes to Ashes by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian was a decent finale to the Burn for Burn trilogy. I read the book really fast and the overall plot was enjoyable. I did encounter some problems regarding the slow beginning, unusual character trait changes, and the ending and I will discuss it all later on this post. Putting aside these quirks, I do believe that it was an acceptable end for the entire trilogy. 

Thoughts in Detail (CONTAIN SPOILERS):


~DO NOT CROSS THIS THRESHOLD, IF YOU HAVE NOT READ/FINISHED THIS BOOK! YOU WILL BE SPOILED! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!~

Firstly, I am going to say that I did enjoy reading this book no matter what the following rants point out. 

Okay let's get down to the dirty business. I want to discuss the challenges I had with the beginning of the novel. Basically the book opened up a few weeks/months after Rennie's death. To be completely honest, I wasn't as moved and connected with Kat and Lillia's grief. I just felt that the hate they had for Rennie tainted my opinion on her, so when the two of them were sad that she was gone I wasn't fully invested. The first part of the book dealt with the effects of the loss of Rennie and it pretty much centered around that. I would have been good with that but, as I said earlier, I felt Rennie didn't deserved all of that mopey business and, in my opinion, it totally dragged the novel's speed.

Second qualm I had was over the unusual changes I encountered with the characters, particularly of Kat. I read Fire with Fire a few months back and I remember loving Kat's wit and street smarts. However, I didn't connect with Kat's sassy remarks in this book. I really enjoyed her POV in the first two books, but in Ashes to Ashes I felt that she didn't sound like herself at all. She was too sassy and the way she spoke was sometimes overly (and I am sorry if I offend anyone with this term) ghetto. Lillia's tragic "should I be with him or not" situation wasn't as believable and authentic, which deterred my opinion on her and Reeve's relationship. Mary had a 360 degree character change out of the three leads. Seriously, I was scared of her in majority of the book and at the same time, intrigued by her.

The last problem I had with this book was the ending. It was incredibly rushed and it didn't exactly delivered all of the goods. All of the build-up was there and the showdown was really adrenaline pumping, but the last five pages was just disappointing. I wish it was fleshed out a little more instead of Lillia recounting what happened to everyone in a dull Epilogue. I wished there was a scene where Reeve and Lillia sorted some stuff out before letting each other go or a scene that would convince me that Alex Lind was really deserving of Lillia's affection. I also wish that Kat's ending was lighter and was detailed, but what's done is done. 

As mentioned before, I enjoyed reading this novel and there were some pretty good scenes in Ashes to Ashes. I liked the part where Kat and Lillia tried to bind Mary into her house with a spell from Aunt Bette's occult books. It was really exhilarating for me because of the witchy stuff they were doing. I also liked the effect of Mary tormenting Reeve because it really did gave me the chills. Finally I was thrilled with the final showdown between Mary, Kat, Lillia, and Reeve. It was still sort of epic, even though the end of the chapter was a tad bit predictable.

Rating:
I give Ashes to Ashes a...
Actual Star Rating: 3.5
Even though I had some problems with it, I still believe that it is a decent end to the trilogy. 

Have you read Ashes to Ashes? If yes, what did you think of it? Do you agree or disagree with the things that I've pointed out? Please share your thoughts in the comments section down below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...