Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Specials (Uglies #3) by Scott Westerfeld | Book Review + Discussion


Title: Specials
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publication: May 9th 2006 by Simon Pulse
Format: Paperback, 350 pages
Source: Personal Purchase from Fullybooked
Plot in a Nutshell:
"Special Circumstances"

The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.

And now she's been turned into one of them: a superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid.

The strength, the speed, and the clarity and focus of her thinking feel better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more.

Still, it's easy to tune that out -- until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.
-Synopsis from Goodreads

Thoughts in General:
I am just going to say that I really really enjoyed this book! It had all the things I expected and a whole lot more. The characters were all great (even the nasty ones), the setting was just picturesque as ever (Scott Westerfeld should be in charge of technological advancements, just saying) and the plot was just brimming with adrenaline-pumping action and intrigue. 

Thoughts in Detail (CONTAINS SPOILERS):
Pretties ended in such a manner that one would most likely a) throw the book out of frustration b) stomp it with vigor and anger or c) yell at the top of ones lungs just to air out the feels. Even though I didn't do any of these *coughs out "letter c"* I was still really antsy to get my hands on Specials just to see how everything will turn out and now that I finished it already this is all I'm feeling right now...


Let me explain...

So we start off the book with Tally being a Special (crazy right?) along with her long time frenemy Shay. They suddenly discover that the New Smokies are now more aggressive and all the Cutters (Tally and Shay's clique) want to do is to put a stop to their plans. Sounds simple but with Scott Westerfeld I knew it'll get totally complicated. 

I am just amazed at Tally's character development in this book. Even though she's already a Special and that her mentality was sometimes (well most of the time) whacked, I still saw the vigor and drive that she had in the first two books. Yes, I did find her quite annoying and too clingy at some parts but I still rooted for her all the way. 

Shay really pissed me off at the beginning because of how superior she acts. Eventually my feelings for her slowly evolved in a positive note. I do get her point of view in certain things (i.e. when she confronted Tally about her being the center of attention all the time) and with all the things that she experienced I am still happy that she got an ending that she deserved. 

Zane was Tally's main priority in this book. Seriously she felt a tad bit clingy when it came to him. Here's the thing, I just didn't find Tally's affection for him believable. I just don't and weirdly enough I wasn't that emotionally invested in their relationship (I know I am a robot). However he still provided a goal for our main protagonist and he served his purpose well. 

David was really a nonentity in this book. Yes he was mentioned countless of times but there weren't enough concrete interaction with him and Tally until the last few chapters of the book.

Dr. Cable, the main antagonist, was still a threat but the way Scott Westerfeld handled her and Tally's confrontation was really unique. In my eyes, Dr. Cable was only a product of the society they lived in and so I think the way her character was dealt with was appropriate and satisfying.  

I want to talk about the technology in this book. Seriously, Scott Westerfeld really did an amazing job crafting such incredible items (i.e. hovercars, hoverboards, crash bracelets, sneak suits, water purifiers etc) that I wanted all of them. Also, the way the characters talk are very distinct. Words like bubbly, bogus, nervous-making and adding -la or -wa to their names, made me both annoyed and amused. The society he built, as I said in earlier reviews of the books, was so plausible it was scary! 

There weren't a lot of romance in this book which didn't bother me at all given the theme of the novel series however I think that the main relationship that was focused in these trilogy was the friendship between Tally and Shay as well as Tally's coming to terms with her own self which is quite unusual for a YA novel. I really love the quote above because it summed up the entire trilogy for me.

The ENDING was really satisfying although it felt too superhero-y for my taste but I can live with  that!

Rating:
You might have already guessed it...
I really enjoyed this book and series! This might be my favorite dystopian series ever! 

Have you read the Uglies series? What did you think of them? Please share your thoughts and opinions by commenting down below! 

Happy Reading, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...