Friday, May 02, 2014

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell | Book Review

Side Note: I have never used tabs on marking scenes before and upon reading this book I discovered its wonders! Hehehe...

Plot in a Nutshell:
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . " 

From the award-winning author of Eleanor & Park and Fangirl comes a hilarious and heartfelt novel about love in the workplace.

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?

Thoughts in General:
This book is, without a doubt, part of my Best Books Read in 2014 list and also my Top Favorite Books of All Time! I am sorry if I am over-hyping or gushing too much about this book but I can't help myself. The feelings that I have wouldn't be true if it weren't this extreme. The characters were all realistically depicted which added a certain charm that made it hard for me to put down. The plot, to be perfectly honest, was akin to a rom-com movie that might star Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts but it is all together completely entertaining and satisfying. I am so happy that I decided to pick this book up because this is what I needed to get out of my reading slump! 

Thoughts in Detail (Contains Spoilers! BE WARNED):
Characters
Lincoln O'Neill was (and is) probably the only character that I have read that I related to most. Seriously there are so many things we have in common which was really freaky. He was described as this huge, towering guy with a bulky frame who was timid, kind, caring, a hopeless romantic, adores his mother and has a sister that kinds of bullies him but loves her anyway. I empathized with everything that he'd gone through and I knew that if I were in those situations I would act the way he did and say the things he said (i.e. when he was dumped by his first love Sam, that was so heart-wrenching). Many of the male protagonist in books (that I have read so far) were head-strong, no-nonsense, cool and suave that easily gets the girl without even trying that hard. Lincoln, however, was far from those kind of guys and that made him real to me. I have never EVER seen myself in a character until this book came into my life.

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder were two of the most hilarious people in the book. Their conversations were really witty, funny and entertaining. No wonder Lincoln got addicted to reading their e-mails. Their chemistry as friends was such a treat to behold. Beth sounded like someone who looks out for other people and cares for them way too much (especially her douchebag of a boyfriend Chris). Jennifer, on the other hand, was such a pragmatic pessimist yet her dry-humor just made me like her even more.

Doris was such a good companion for Lincoln and the way he spends his dinner time with her was really sweet. Lincoln's Mom was such an enigma to me and there were so many questions that wasn't satisfied nevertheless she is such a nice lady and a great mom. Eve, Lincoln's sister, annoyed me at times (what with all the pressuring and the snide remarks) but I saw the authenticity of her role as the big sister which was really good. The other characters were all well-rounded and well-written.

Setting
This book was set in 1999-2000 which felt such a throwback to me. Even though I didn't watch the same shows or did the same things as the characters, the vibe of that era felt palpable throughout the book which kind of made me reminisce about the good old days (Gosh, I suddenly feel old).

Story
The plot of the book, as I mentioned earlier, is reminiscent of a good romantic-comedy flick (there was even a scene in this book that just validated that for me, ehem... the latter part of Chapter 88... ehem). However I didn't mind it at all. It felt comforting and familiar to me which boosted my drive to read this book. There are certain serious issues that happened (i.e. Jennifer's pregnancy) but that didn't kill the lightheartedness of this novel. I know I might sound like a crazy person but I think that sometimes books need to depart itself from being too realistic and embrace its whimsical fictitious aspect. Yes this is a contemporary novel and their are things in this book that seemed unrealistically handled but to me it's all good.

Rating:
You all know the answer to this already...
Two Thumbs Up!
Bravo Rainbow Rowell! Bravo!

Have you read Attachments? What were your thoughts about it? Did you enjoy it or not? Please share your opinions by commenting down below!

Happy Reading, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...