Thursday, April 17, 2014

Through The Ever Night (Under The Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi | Book Review + Discussion


Plot in a Nutshell:
It's been months since Aria learned of her mother's death.

Months since Perry became Blood Lord of the Tides, and months since Aria last saw him.

Now Aria and Perry are about to be reunited. It's a moment they've been longing for with countless expectations. And it's a moment that lives up to all of them. At least, at first.

Then it slips away. The Tides don't take kindly to former Dwellers like Aria. And the tribe is swirling out of Perry's control. With the Aether storms worsening every day, the only remaining hope for peace and safety is the Still Blue. But does this haven truly exist?

Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and sci-fi elements to create a captivating adventure-and a love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.
- Synopsis from Goodreads

Thoughts in General:
Under The Never Sky quite frankly didn’t meet some of the things I envisioned it to be, so I went ahead and read its sequel Through The Ever Night having low expectations. After finishing it though, I found myself quite satisfied at how the book turned out. There were issues that still bothered me regarding the plot and the pacing of the novel but in my opinion I enjoyed this book more than its predecessor. The character development was richer and the world-building was much more vividly crafted. I am actually excited to pick up the final book in the series and see how it ends.

Thoughts in Detail (CONTAINS SPOILERS! BE WARNED!)
The first book didn’t excite me that much because of how ordinary the cast of characters were and how the plot moved in such a glacial pace. I find it really boring compared to the other dystopian novels I’ve read in the past. There weren’t any characters that instilled some sort of comic relief and the tone of the book was deathly serious which made me feel indifferent towards it.

However that all changed in this book and I am happy that I continued on with it. The characters are much more authentic and well written in Through The Ever Night. Aria has grown immensely and I liked her characterization in this book. She is much more independent and strong willed. The way she coped up with certain situations showed how mature she became. I liked how she did the noble thing and left Perry to pursue her mission after that Marking ceremony fiasco. The way she handled herself made me feel proud of her. Although I found that her relationship with Roar, in my opinion, felt too intimate compared to her supposed love interest Perry I still managed to put that aside.

Perry also succeeded in making me change my opinion regarding his characterization. In the first book I found him unlikeable and annoying however in this book I finally saw the hero inside of him come out. I guess being the Tides’ Blood Lord affected how he viewed things and I am glad that he grew up. The only thing that really pissed me off was when Kirra and him was on that beach being intimate. I was infuriated with him and I couldn’t get pass that even though he stopped it. Although I liked him more I still have my reservations for him and I am still not one hundred percent on his team.

Roar is the most comical character in the book. I didn’t laughed so hard but I was fairly amused with him. I felt like his relationship with Aria was much more concrete compared to Perry’s. Liv is such a cool character and I am so mad at what happened to her in this book! The other characters were decent yet they didn’t stick to my memory.

In this book we also find out the true antagonists of the book. I feel like the villains of the book isn’t completely nefarious because I think that they are only doing what they do for survival unlike the other greedy and malevolent villains I’ve read about which I find unique.

The conflict of the book was good and it developed the main characters in ways that made them more real to me although the pacing in some parts were really slow I still quite enjoyed it.

Rating:
Through The Ever Night gets a...
Thumbs Up!
This book is a good sequel and I am excited to see how everything ties up.

Have you read Through The Ever Night? What are your opinions about it? Please do share your thoughts by commenting down below.


Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...