Saturday, March 15, 2014

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi | Book Review


Plot in a Nutshell:
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

-Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Thoughts in General:
Tahereh Mafi’s debut novel Shatter Me slowly turned me into a dystopian junkie. I previously told you guys that dystopia wasn’t really my thing but I am know convinced that underneath the sad and depressing setting of these worlds there are stories worth reading. The book started off really weird and confusing for me. I was convinced that the main character was insane and it made me uncomfortable however I changed my opinion once the story progressed. I honestly felt like most of the characters were dark, grim and totally serious and completely depressing. There weren’t any moment of comic relief until the latter part of the novel. The writing of this book was simple, poetic and unique. Tahereh Mafi penned it in a way that made me see how crazy the main character’s sanity has weathered through the years of torturous isolation. This is a totally passionate romantic book with numerous steamy make-out scenes and not enough adrenaline-pumping action. This book was still entertaining nonetheless and worth every minute.

Thoughts in Details (Contain Spoilers! BE WARNED!):
Character/s
The book was written in the First Person POV of our main character Juliette who seemed troubled in the first few pages of the book. She felt so unhinged and it was really weird reading about how long she has been on that asylum. The way she constantly repeats herself was unsettling and I felt really bad for her. Slowly she becomes more lucid especially when she meets Adam and Warner. I kind of liked how she evolved into such a helpless damsel into such a kickass girl. I was frustrated with her in the first few chapters that I really wanted to slap her of course with gloves on and shake her out of that weird funk. Thankfully she got a hold of herself and finally broke free of that negative mentality.

Then we have Adam who is quintessentially the good guy male lead for our heroine. He seems to be the good looking nice guy who fell in love with her when they were children which kind of made their relationship into an insta-love situation. I really do like Adam and how he cares for Juliette so much and how he sees the goodness in her when most of the people in her life treated her like a monster.

On the other end of the spectrum we have the twisted Warner who acts the part of the villain. This guy was just purely creepy and he is just an obsessive ass person. He was so complex that he actually bordered on bi-polar and strangely enough I want to know more about him. I want to know where this personality stemmed from and know more about his back story.

Let me put these two in a foodie metaphor. Adam can be considered as the comfortable plain vanilla ice cream, all good and very traditional while Warner has a more deep bittersweet dark chocolate with a surprising chili flavor, complicated and utterly weird.

There aren’t many characters in the majority of the book aside from Kenji the only funny person in this book and James, Adam’s frank younger brother.

Setting
As with most dystopian books, the world was described to be a desolate place in utter chaos and that the governing body which was known as The Reestablishment, pretty much wants to take over the entire planet. The thing that really surprised me is that Juliette wasn’t the only one with powers and that there are other people who can also do extraordinary things which really reminded me of X-Men and Ransom Riggs’ Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Over-all I could feel the tension Tahereh Mafi concocted in this world and I can’t wait to explore it more in her next books.

Story
The book was kind of misleading in a way because I was really expecting an action packed story line but the whole novel really focused on the romance between Juliette and Adam. It’s not totally a bad thing but there were times that I was annoyed with the plentiful make-out scenes the main character was having with her love interest. There were also questions that I still couldn’t quite figure out (i.e. How come Juliette can touch both Adam and Warner?) which I think will be revealed in latter books. However the book redeemed itself by having interesting characters and a really addictive and entertaining story progression.

Rating:
Shatter Me deserves a...
Thumbs Up! 
Juliette my have weird tendencies but her story is intriguing enough for me to be excited over the next one!

Have you guys read Shatter Me? What can you say about it? Please feel free to share your opinions by commenting below!

Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...