Thursday, February 06, 2014

Uglies (Uglies #1) by Scott Westerfeld | Book Review


Plot in a Nutshell:
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license - for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all.

The choice Tally makes changes her world forever...
-Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Thoughts in General:
Being the first ever dystopian book I have ever read, it is quite safe to say that I am not disappointed by what I picked. The whole world of Uglies is written really well though at times I felt like that the characters aren’t as good as the world itself. The concepts that Scott Westerfeld planted in this book is eerily plausible to what could happen to our society. I really like the fact that even though it was set in a futuristic world, the main issue about beauty and what it means to be pretty is still prevalent right now. Uglies is a good book to start off the whole series and I am so stoked to read the next one.

Thoughts in Details [Might Contain Spoilers]:
Character/s
Tally Youngblood is the book’s protagonist and I have to say that I did not love her until the last few chapters of the book. She is fun, daring and unconventional at times but you could really see the impact of what her society taught her through some of her actions and thoughts. She is by no means the “revolutionary” type of character that is defiant and this probably one of the things that I liked about this book. She isn’t a cut-out protagonist and I did, at times, see her perspective on things. Her insecurities and the way her society made her think of how looks are so important really resonated with me. However there are times she seems dull, which made me uncertain if I really like her or not.

Shay is much more daring than our protagonist but she borders on impulsive. She doesn’t think things through and it annoyed me at times, though her street smart attitude is really admirable.

In all honesty the characters in this book aren’t as compelling as I hoped they would be.

Setting
What lacks in character development, the novel makes up for the world-building. The version of America in this series is really futuristic with hoverboards, portable and compact water purifying bottles, toothpaste pills and other things that I only imagine existing in the farthest future and I really enjoy exploring it.

The whole concepts of uglies, pretties and specials are really enthralling for me as well.  The idea that a person is considered ugly (no matter how they looked like) until they reached the age of sixteen for the operation to turn them pretty is scary yet it could happen. Though in this setting, the world isn’t filled with war, danger and violence. Come to think of it, the whole world of Uglies come across as an uthopian society at first, not until I found out the huge secret this world has.

Story
The plot of the whole book, at least to me, centered around the thought of…

What are you willing to risk to get what you want?

The book is action-packed and the main focus of the novel is about the sacrifices the characters made to finally achieve their goals not the romance which is really refreshing.

Rating:
Uglies deserves a…

Thumbs Up! The concepts and the things I learned from this book is really worthwhile.

Have you read this series? What are your thoughts about it? Please do comment down below and share your thoughts.


Happy Reading, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...