Friday, January 10, 2014

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare | Book Review + Discussion

"Lies and secrets, Tessa, they are like a cancer in the soul. They eat away what is good and leave only destruction behind."
-Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince


Plot in a Nutshell:
It’s time—for the riveting sequel to the #1 New York Times bestselling Clockwork Angel! The situation at the London Institute has never been more precarious. With Mortmain and his clockwork army still threatening, the Council wants to strip Charlotte of her power and hand the running of the Enclave over to the unscrupulous and power-hungry Benedict Lightwood. In the hope of saving Charlotte and the Institute, Will, Jem, and Tessa set out to unravel the secrets of Mortmain’s past—and discover unsettling Shadowhunter connections that hold the key not only to the enemy’s motivations, but also to the secret of Tessa’s identity. Tessa, already caught between the affections of Will and Jem, finds herself with another choice to make when she learns how the Shadowhunters helped make her a “monster.” Will she turn from them to her brother, Nate, who has been begging her to join him at Mortmain’s side? Where will her loyalties—and love—lie? Tessa alone can choose to save the Shadowhunters of London…or end them forever.
-Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Thoughts in General:

Holy Crap this sequel was awesome! I had no idea that I will be grown attached to the characters, and the world wherein Cassandra Clare crafted. This woman really knows how to turn words into an exciting, thrilling, and heart wrenching story!  Clockwork Prince compared to its predecessor (under my observation) had less action and focuses on character development as well as some pretty intense romance. We really do get to know more about some of the characters and I think that’s the reason why I liked this book so much.

Thoughts in Details (CONTAINS SPOILERS):

[Note: I am going to alter this portion of my review because my stream of thought as of now is all over the place (I am really sorry in advance)! This will be a discussion filled with spoilers]

The ending of the Clockwork Angel was sort of a cliffhanger because we didn’t know what Will Herondale was doing with Magnus Bane (the Nephilim-friendly warlock) aside from the fact that he needed his help. In this book we discovered what made Will so unfriendly and cruel towards others and that is because of the curse that was casted upon him by a demon he released from the Pyxis when he was only twelve years old (if you’ve read the book, which I am guessing you have, you should know this already). I was really saddened by his story because at such a young age he had to deal with completely shutting everyone off and trying to hide his true self underneath the cold mask. And then he finally found the demon who cursed him and he learned that there wasn’t a curse at all. I was really happy for him! However I realized that will he be able to retrieve back his true self or was he so accustomed to the Will Herondale he created to protect those he loved that he simply became him.

Then we have the Jem and Tessa engagement to which I was honestly against with (I am a Will-Tessa shipper here). I know that Jem is kind, nurturing and sweet but I feel as though Tessa’s just forcing herself to love him unlike with Will there was a certain passion in their relationship. I just don’t see Jem as the perfect man for Tessa. I really felt bad for Will! The woman that he truly loves was suddenly engaged not only to his best friend but to his parabatai! That is so messed up!

We also get to know more about Mortmain (The Magister of evilness) and his past. How he was adopted by two warlocks who was eventually executed for crimes against the Shadowhunters. Revenge was what drove him to become who he is.

Jessamine’s betrayal didn’t surprise that much because she really annoyed me in the first book and from there on I always knew that she’s going to screw everything up!

Then we have the whole Benedict Lightwood vs. Charlotte Branwell power struggle for the London Institute and I liked how everything turned out (especially the Demon Pox situation which was hilarious). Speaking of Benedict, I was really at the edge of my seat when Tessa and Will decided to make out (quite intensely I might add) at the balcony during the Masquerade ball at the Lightwoods. I was somewhat engrossed and totally frustrated with them. Why would you start doing that at the most inconvenient and dangerous time ever? I really did felt that they were going to be caught by Nate which didn’t happen.  

We are also introduced to Gideon Lightwood, the older brother of Gabriel Lightwood, and I am seriously shipping him and Sophie! I think of him really sweet and I do hope they end up together.

Well that is all that I wanted to talk about this book (or at least the first few things that came to my mind).

Rating:
You all know what I’m giving this book...
2 Thumbs Up! I can’t wait to read Clockwork Princess!

What are your thoughts regarding this book or the things I discussed? Tell me down below on the comments section.

Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...