Monday, January 06, 2014

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare | Book Review

“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

Plot in a Nutshell:
In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...
-Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Thoughts in General:

I have heard quiet a lot of good things about this trilogy and so I went in to read the first book Clockwork Angel with high expectations and I have to say that I was really impressed by it. Upon reading the first page, my attention was instantly grabbed by the Victorian Shadowhunter world and the whole book felt like a rollercoaster that you wouldn’t want to stop. It was so action-packed and the characters were all really fun to read. The plot isn’t one-dimensional and it provided plot twists that made me gasp (not the totally dramatic kind) and excited to read on.

Thoughts in Details (May Contain Spoilers):

Character/s

The book’s main protagonist is the young and beautiful American girl named Tessa Gray. She is seen in the first Chapter landing on the soils of London during the Victorian Era where everything will start to go wrong. As I read on I noticed that she really reminds me of Elizabeth Bennet of Pride and Prejudice because of her passion for books and knowledge. Her character had the right amount of sassiness and wit combined with her compassionate personality. I really felt bad for her during the initial chapters because of the way the Dark Sisters treated her but I was really at awe with her special ability as well as her courage and resilience.

Will Herondale is the kind of character that is designed to make the female readers swoon. He is a real debonair and a lady’s man with a streak of mystery (simply put he is the Tall, Dark and Handsome type). He is the comic relief of the book due to his funny and sarcastic remarks and that is what I really like about him. However his tactlessness and rudeness towards everybody sometimes made him sound like a pompous ass (there I said it, pardon to those who are sensitive with such language) though one could not resist his charisma and aura of mystery.

Then there is the silver haired Jem Carstairs who is the total opposite of Will. Kind, uplifting and soft-spoken, Jem is also a great contender for our main character’s heart. However he is the only one that understands Will and manages to humor his BFF. I really liked Jem as a character and I sympathized with him deeply as I learned more about him.

The other characters in the book were all well-written! Charlotte, the head of the Institute, is really awesome and independent while her husband Henry is whimsical and na├»ve. Henry’s inventions were pretty cool and I got to see the origins of the Sensor (which I read in City of Bones). Jessamine is the prim and proper yet brash Shadowhunter that I couldn’t make up my mind if I liked or not, because most of the time I read about her I feel that she’s annoying and really frivolous. The rest are so fun and intriguing to read about.

Setting

Victorian London (specifically 1870) was the primary time period of this novel and Cassandra Clare presented it in a very realistic way. Her writing style here felt as though I was really reading a piece of literature in that era (though I managed to find some things that threw me off a bit). Her Shadowhunter world was truly remarkable and the world building was so fun to explore (especially in the time period). I really preferred this presentation over City of Bones.

Story

I was really happy with how everything turned out in the book. It felt like I was watching a action packed movie as I turn every page towards The End. Cassandra Clare manages to weave a tale that is totally engrossing and I could actually see the improvement of her writing in Clockwork Angel. Right after I read the book I was bombarded with questions that I wanted to be answered immediately. Thankfully I already got the other two books so I wouldn’t be waiting that long to know everything.

Rating:
Clockwork Angel really deserves a...
2 Thumbs Up! A well written and adventurous book such as this needs to be recommended! Great job Cassandra Clare! I can't wait to read the next book!

Have you read Clockwork Angel already? What are your thoughts regarding this book? Comment down below and please do share the blogging love!


Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...