Thursday, November 28, 2013

Harry Potter Years 1-7 by J.K. Rowling | Series Review

"Those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it."
-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows


Plot In A Nutshell:
The novels revolve around Harry Potter, an orphan who discovers at the age of eleven that he is a wizard, living within the ordinary world of non-magical people, known as Muggles. His ability is inborn and such children are invited to attend a school that teaches the necessary skills to succeed in the wizarding world. Harry becomes a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and it is here where most of the novels’ events take place. As Harry develops through his adolescence, he learns to overcome the problems that face him: magical, social and emotional, including ordinary teenage challenges such as friendships and exams, and the greater test of preparing himself for the confrontation that lies ahead.
-Series Summary (from Wikipedia)


Thoughts in General:
I am profoundly pleased that I finally had the courage to pursue this goal of mine. I was really intimidated by this series mainly because it is such a beloved tale that everyone (and I mean everyone) knows or at least is familiar with. I am glad to say that I am thoroughly hooked!  Harry Potter’s journey is incredibly thought out and well written. The characters are all developed in a way that feels really genuine. The setting and the magical system is fantastic. I now understand what the hype is all about and now I can truly say that I’m a Potterhead.

Thoughts in Details (May Contain Spoilers):
Character/s
The characters were all really complex and had certain distinct personalities. Harry is really selfless and courageous but upon reading the entire novels you will see that he is sometimes prideful and hot-tempered which to me makes him more human and likeable. Ron is down-to-earth and really humorous but is insecure at times. Hermoine is a genius, witty and compassionate person but her emotions sometimes overrule her.  They work together brilliantly and even if they fight with each other you’ll know that they would patch things over! Their friendship is really admirable and that I hope that my friends would be as loyal as these three to each other.

Albus Dumbledore is the enigmatic headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His quirky behavior and the wise words that he imparts on Harry makes him one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. He is flawed (which is heavily discussed in the final book, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows) but as I said it made him even more human and tangible for me. He is just a very fun character to read and, due to the fact that I am so late in the bandwagon, I wasn’t that affected to what happened to him in The Half-Blood Prince.

Hagrid the gentle half-giant that loves to keep dangerous creatures under his care is someone I really liked to read about. Though he is sometimes naive, he manages to become one of Harry's greatest protector. 

Then there’s the clumsy Neville Longbottom whom I never really gave much thought but eventually applauded his bravery in the latter books, Luna Lovegood the weird and eccentric Ravenclaw that is so fun and bubbly even I wanted to be friends with.

The Weasley Family is just awesome! We’ve got Mr. Arthur Weasley who is just a good and honest guy who has this weird obsession with Muggles. Mrs. Molly Weasley is really feisty and is such a great mom! Then there is the hilarious twins Fred and George Weasley to whom I admire their passion for mischief and pursuing what they believe is right. When they decided to ditch school and open their very own joke shop (which happens in the fifth book The Order of The Phoenix) I was like, “I need to be gutsy as these two!”. Ginny Weasley was, in all honesty, the character that really surprised me. It the first three books I didn’t give any attention to her and she wasn’t that interesting but as the series progress I finally saw how independent and totally sassy she is. Then there are the other brothers CharlieBill, and the really pompous Percy.

Severus Snape is the character that never grew on me at all. Even after I found out his sacrifices, I just didn't like the guy (sorry to all the Snape fans out there). Another character I didn't like or have not seen any redeeming qualities at all is Draco Malfoy. Some people found it him interesting but I just didn't see what they saw. 

Voldemort is a well crafted villain that is so evil. I especially enjoyed knowing how he came to be which is described in The Half-Blood Prince. He is just a despicable yet endearing antagonist. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named/You-Know-Who is a worthy adversary for our protagonist.

I will not go on and on about the other characters in the series but I will tell you this once you start reading these books you couldn’t help but love and hate some of them (i.e. Umbridge is such a total monster)
   
Setting:
J.K. Rowling is a genius in world building! Like seriously, her skills in creating The Wizarding World is unparalleled. From the get go, she managed to paint a world that is so complex yet comfortable that I am just bowing down to her ability (I really wanted to go to Hogwarts, Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade!). The whole magic system of the books is fascinating and the author did provide information to the readers but not to a point that it became excessive (I suddenly want a wand!).

Story:
The series has a little bit of everything. Its adrenaline pumping action, thrilling mystery, sweet romance, and humor makes the good vs. evil plot of the book a lot interesting. The story has some basic framework of a good epic but the way J.K. Rowling crafted it with compelling characters and a fantastic world makes the book the international phenomenon that it was.

Rating:
The magic and sense of wonder of the Harry Potter series deserves a...
 Two Thumbs Up! 

I am really pleased that I did this challenge! If I have read the book series when it was at its hype, I might not have found it really interesting (due to my narrow-mindedness) because everyone is reading it. At the same time I am saddened that I could express my enthusiasm as I read the books to others because their enthusiasm in the series died out already. Anyways, as you could deduce to my opening paragraph, I simply adored this book series.

Did you enjoy the Harry Potter series? Why or Why not? Tell me what you think by leaving your comments down below.

Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...