Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fated by Alyson Noel | Book Review


Plot in a Nutshell:
Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met. A woman who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.
There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness her mystical powers. But it’s when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, that her whole world is shaken to its core. Now Daire is forced to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy.
-Synopsis (from Amazon)

Thoughts in General:
I purchased this book with no knowledge about it whatsoever and I only got it because the author was in the 2013 Manila International Book Fair signing copies. All I knew was that it was the first book in a brand new series by Alyson Noel who is the author of The Immortals series. I am so glad that I picked it up! The story was really interesting with all the Native American/Shamanistic mythology and magic weaved into it. I am a real sucker for books involving witchcraft, magic, New Age and Occult concepts so this book fits right in. The characters felt a little bit stereotypical but I got used to them in the end. I also liked how the author described the locations of the book and I found Enchantment, New Mexico very intriguing. The book is fun, magical and entertaining.

Thoughts in Details (May Contain Spoilers):
Character/s
Main
Daire Santos is really spunky and has a no-nonsense attitude yet I am not that fond of her. I don’t know but I wasn’t either rooting for her or that I am against her. I just find her kind of annoying at times and when she does redeem herself I am just left feeling indifferent towards her. However in the latter part of the book, that was when I began to like her character.

Minor
Jennika, the mother of Daire, started of fine and appears to be really relatable but then in the latter part of the novel she suddenly becomes this overprotective mother that kind of annoyed me. Paloma, the good-natured grandmother of the protagonist, was really nice and mystical but I feel like she’s very generic. Dace is a great male romantic lead but again a little bit typical. Cade has this creepiness factor in him that made him more of a threat for me but again I felt his characterization was a little bit flat. The only character that really interested me was Xotichl because [DO NOT GO FURTHER IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE SPOILED] a) she’s blind b) she has this weird ability to feel and “see” energy patterns and c) she is a really mysterious character which makes her stand out.


Setting
Ms. Noel established a world that is unlike I have read so far. The mythology embedded in this novel feels so rich and exotic that it actually propelled me to move forward and finish this book. The concepts of the magic, mythology and spiritualism in the story excited me more than the characters and the plot.

Story
Daire’s discovery of her true heritage and her journey in claiming this legacy was really well written but to me it lacked something I couldn’t quiet put my finger on. It is a first book in a quartet so it is expected that this book is all about world building and the plot will be more emphasized in the following novels and I am really excited to pick up the next one.

Rating:
I give it a...
Thumb Up! The Native American mythology in this book really was charming, informative and intriguing!

Are your interests piqued? If you have read the novel what did you think of it? Share your comments down below and please don’t hesitate in sharing my blog to others! I would really appreciate it!

Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...