Friday, November 16, 2012

Fashionable Classics: Penguin Deluxe Editions with A Haute Couture Twist





I may not seem like the type of person who gives a damn about fashion and if you were given a chance to see me in person this will be confirmed. My usual ensemble consists of baggy jeans, loose T-shirts and sneakers, very casual not at all edgy. However, one of my guilty obsessions ever since I was a kid was fashion and style. I have always been fascinated with this art and I can't seem to pinpoint the exact reason. Maybe I was a fashion savant in one of my past lives (yes, I do believe in Reincarnation).  

Anyway back in 2010, as I was roaming around one of my favorite haunts, National Bookstore Dasmariñas, I noticed these haute couture edgy book covers in one of the bookshelves. At first I thought they were new novels but I was completely caught off guard once I saw that they were classics and (as you may have guessed) I have to have at least one of them.  I saved my allowance and eventually bought all of the six designs (one-by-one).


This is part of Penguin Deluxe Edition classics turned into pieces of Haute Couture art by renowned Fashion Illustrator Ruben Toledo are:


1) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

2)The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

3) Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

4) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

5) Dracula by Bram Stoker

6) The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Novels that depict the triumphs and tribulations of true love; heroic quests; and painful sacrifices will never go out of style. Indulge in these glamorous literary feats and discover (or re-discover) the reasons why these books are called CLASSICS!

What do you guys think of these covers? Please share your comments below!

Happy Reading,

1 comment:

  1. The last one, does it have super white pages or more like older style? I don't like those super white pages, but I do like the cover (I can only order/see them online so not in store). Would you like to mail me about that question? Haha: itsabooksworld.booklikes@gmail.com is my email address :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...