Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Book Review

“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.” 
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower


Plot in a Nutshell:
“Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.”
-Summary (from Goodreads)

Thoughts in General:
I confess that I only read this book due to its movie adaptation and my friends raved about it (that is how I roll). So having read the book I did not liked it as much as I thought I would. The main reason is that the main character Charlie is kind of annoying. I don't mean to sound rude or anything but the hero of the novel did not feel like a hero to me. The writing style is good but the darker themes imbedded in the novel are what really threw me off (SPOILER ALERT!!! The story of that girl in that party was so shocking for me I had a hard time getting over it). The plot is really a coming-of-age story that a lot of people will relate to (not in the word-for-word translation of the book but in a more general feel of it). The writing of the novel was engaging (treating the reader as the friend he keeps on writing to). It is the kind of book that is compelling enough to leave you pondering after reading it (trust me I had to go to Wikipedia to confirm some hunches I had).  I liked it but it’s not my usual cup of tea.

Thoughts in Details:
Character/s
Charlie, our protagonist, is a freshman in high school and with that in mind you know he’s pretty na├»ve. He is sometimes so clueless that he borders on the annoying (hence my comment above). However there are parts of him that I do admire. He’s brave enough to pursue something new, he is kind and chivalrous.
Patrick is probably my favorite character in this entire book! He is so flamboyant and confident in his own skin. He is so funny and totally cool!
Sam is the mysterious romantic interest of our hero. I like her but I wasn’t that totally invested in her character.
The other characters in the books were okay however after a few weeks, I’ll probably forget them.

Setting
The book is set in the 1990’s and so there are a lot of bands mentioned in here that were famous in that era. Mixed tapes and telephones are still all the rage back then and I got to reminisce about the little things in my childhood while I was reading this book.

Story
The blurb of this book doesn’t come close to the depth and issues the novel handles. Yes, it does have that fun quality into it but what I gathered as I finished reading the book is that this isn’t your superficial YA novel.  I know I shouldn’t focus on that but I just couldn’t let it pass me. It’s like whenever I see the book all I could remember is its darker aspect (maybe I should re-read it).

Rating:
This book receives a...
So-So Gesture! It was an okay read for me, though a lot of people liked it I was not that blown away by it.

What were your thoughts on this book? Tell me all about it on the comments section below.

Happy Reading,

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! I have to agree with you on your "So-so Gesture" rating. I thought that this book was a bit overrated especially by the time its movie came out. But as you said, it was okay. :)

    My blog: judegerona.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The whole book just felt dull to me and it didn't excite me as much as the hype over it did! :)

      Delete

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...