Monday, June 11, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo Adventures: My Odyssey of Becoming a Novelist

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin

A lot of my peers already know my fascination with books and being a writer myself. If you asked them they would probably reply a hasty "ABSOLUTELY" or "MY EARS ARE BLEEDING WITH HIS INCESSANT BLABBERING ABOUT HIS DREAMS". I have been looking for ways to finally develop this dream of my into reality and last year upon a chance encounter with an author whom I fell in love with named Erin Morgenstern I had the pleasure of discovering an event that could probably grant my wishes.


Erin Morgenstern is the author of The Night Circus which has become a bestseller upon its publication. Reading articles, reviews and watching videos about this book I instantly became an obsessed groupie in search of some biographic data. In one of my findings I discovered that the author participated in an event called National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo. I was utterly stupefied with the fact that there was such an event. Curiosity led me to uncover what this NANOWRIMO was all about and what were the requirements needed for an individual to join in. I gathered all the courage I had and decided to tag in the whirlwind of novel writing in a month. 

A lot of you guys might ask "NaNoWhat?", so I'm going to briefly explain to you what it is all about. According to Wikipedia, "National Novel Writing Month is an annual internet-based creative writing project which challenges participants to write 50,000 words of a new novel between November 1 and 30. Despite the name it accepts entries from around the world." The creator Chris Baty, a freelance writer, actually started the whole event with only 21 participant on the year 1999. Thirteen years later the program has evolved garnering more than 200,000 participants.The only prize winners would get are their finished manuscript and the satisfaction of having written it, which is enough for me. 

NaNoWriMo's growth brought about a lot more programs including the summer spin-off, Camp NaNoWriMo (which I'm currently participating) and Script Frenzy which is a program that requires individuals or partners to create a 100 page script in the course of a month (Wikipedia, 2012). 

I am currently trying to write my very own piece of fiction and trust me it is not a walk in the park. I've struggled to keep my plot line interesting and to try improving my OTHERWISE horrible prose. It has come to my attention that being a novelist is a lot harder than I expected. I felt like giving up most of the time but I pushed those thoughts aside and just go with whatever I had. So far my journey as a writer is exhilarating yet painful but I know that I am doing the thing that I love.

Now I can finally say that "I AM A NANOWRITER AND PROUD OF IT". 

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaNoWriMo

An UPDATE:
Sadly I did not make it on the finish line. However I am determined to cross that finish line this coming November :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...