Saturday, May 12, 2012

Bewitching by Alex Flinn | Book Review

"If you read fairy tales, and who doesn't, you might believe there are witches all over the place - witches baking children into gingerbread, making princesses sleep hundreds of years, even turning normal teenage boys into hideous beasts to teach them a lesson." 
-Alex Flinn, Bewitching


Plot in a Nutshell:
Bewitching can be a beast. . . .
Once, I put a curse on a beastly and arrogant high school boy. That one turned out alright. Others didn't.
I go to a new school now—one where no one knows that I should have graduated long ago. I'm not still here because I'm stupid; I just don't age.
You see, I'm immortal. And I pretty much know every-thing after hundreds of years—except for when to take my powers and butt out.
I want to help, but things just go awry in ways I could never predict. Like when I tried to free some children from a gingerbread house and ended up being hanged. After I came back from the dead (immortal, remember?), I tried to play matchmaker for a French prince and ended up banished from France forever. And that little mermaid I found in the Titanic lifeboat? I don't even want to think about it.
Now a girl named Emma needs me. I probably shouldn't get involved, but her gorgeous stepsister is conniving to the core. I think I have just the thing to fix that girl—and it isn't an enchanted pumpkin. Although you never know what will happen when I start . . .
Bewitching
-Summary (from Goodreads)

Thoughts in General:
I have never read Beastly or anything by Alex Flinn but as a lover and long-time admirer of witches and magic I just went for it and I read this novel. Ms. Flinn provided quiet a lot of interesting concepts (like the use of a certain French prince which was actually a real person; true events like The Great Plague and Titanic) in this novel that made it all worthwhile. The only pet peeve I had with this novel is quite frankly the story of Emma and Lisette. I was disappointed in this book because it didn’t have a lot of Kendra moments at all. Bewitching is a very whimsical book that gives the readers a whole new perspective on the Wicked Witches of fairy tales.

Thoughts in Details (Might Contain Spoilers):
Characters
The story starts off with the origin story of the mystical witch Kendra that resembles the story of Hansel and Gretel. Right of the bat you could see that Kendra is a very resourceful and determined girl. Her personality is well written out and I immediately liked her spunk and sass. I also liked her helping a lot of people with her magic but sadly her efforts ends up bringing some terrible consequences which happens in real life.  As I said earlier the book is more of a case study to the Cinderella story of Emma and Lisette which I wasn’t really thrilled with. Emma is such a goody-goody while Lisette is such a conniving girl and both characters didn’t stick to me. However I felt sorry for Emma because her father really favors Lisette. Eventually you’ll end up liking Emma and rooting for her.  

Setting
The story takes place in 17th Century England, 21st Century America, 18th Century Paris and in the year of The Titanic. The world that Alex Flinn created is reality mixed with the fantasy of fairytales. She manages to concoct a very whimsical tale without bordering on crazy.

Story
As you may have guessed this is a retelling of various fairytales but I will tell you that the twist and turns that the author provided was so well woven you wouldn’t feel like it’s a cop-out. In the beginning, Kendra’s story was very amusing and the incorporation of Hansel and Gretel is really well executed. As with all the other fairytales she mixed with the story like Cinderella, The Princess and the Pea, and The Little Mermaid you’ll see that Ms. Flinn really is very talented in fairytale retelling. However the lack of Kendra and the bewitchment that I assumed will be the center of the novel slightly derailed my overall experience.

Rating:
I give Bewitching a…
Thumb Up! Even though I didn’t get a lot of Kendra witchy action, I did enjoy most of the aspect of this whimsical treat.

Are you bewitched at all to read Bewitching? If you already have read it, what are your thoughts? Comment down below and share this blog to those who want something to read but don’t know what.


Happy Reading,  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting, I highly appreciate it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...